Story: Coat of arms

Old Government Buildings: If the crown fits … (2nd of 2)

Old Government Buildings: If the crown fits …

The original royal coat of arms on Wellington’s Old Government Buildings was carved out of wood by Thomas Dewson in 1910. In 1990 the coat of arms had to be extensively refurbished. The crown – originally made of tōtara – had to be replaced by a fibreglass version. Here joiner Adrian Claridge (centre) finds out whether the crown fits him with assistance from his Ministry of Works and Development colleagues, Terry Warren (left) and P. G. Robati (right).

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1980/1161
Photograph by Phil Reid

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Stephen Levine, 'Coat of arms - British and 1911 coats of arms', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/35075/old-government-buildings-if-the-crown-fits (accessed 23 August 2019)

Story by Stephen Levine, published 20 Jun 2012