An English lesson in progress at Hukarere Maori Girls' College in the late 1940s shows a full classroom. In the mid-20th century the school was thriving, with a growing roll, and new dormitories and classrooms about to be built. Set up in 1875 in Hawke's Bay by the Williams sisters, Maria, Kate and Marianne, the school was originally known as the Hukarere Native School for Girls. From the late 1960s Hukarere was threatened with closure on a number of occasions. A strong Old Girls' Association played an important part in keeping the school alive, and in the 2000s its roll was again increasing.
Using this item
Reference: Kuini Jenkins and Kay Morris Matthews, Hukarere and the politics of Maori girls’ schooling. Palmerston North: Dunmore Press, 1995, p. 127
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.