Story: Māori education – mātauranga

Kaiapoi native school

Kaiapoi native school

These are the pupils and staff of Kaiapoi native school, in Canterbury, in 1902. From 1894 schooling became compulsory for Māori, and Māori mainly attended native schools. The primary focus of these schools was teaching English and manual instruction.

About this item

Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 9, IMG 0005

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ross Calman, 'Māori education – mātauranga - The native schools system, 1867 to 1969', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/34875/kaiapoi-native-school (accessed 24 October 2017)

Story by Ross Calman, published 20 Jun 2012