Sawmilling was the lifeblood of many townships in the King Country. This is the Ellis and Burnand sawmill in Manunui in 1910. It opened there in 1901 and, after the railway line arrived in the township two years later, expanded to become the largest sawmill in the region. It closed in 1942.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.