The Waitomo Hotel is the oldest government tourist hotel still standing in New Zealand. The Victorian wing (at right) was built in 1908, after the government took ownership of the Glow-worm and Ruakurī caves. The art deco wing (left) was built in 1928. In its heyday, the Waitomo Hotel was an exclusive establishment – but it was rather run-down in the early 2000s. The shadows cast by the setting sun are kind to its faded splendour.
Using this item
Photograph by Andy Palmer
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.