One of the few publicly accessible parts of the coastline between Marokopa and Awakino, which are almost 60 kilometres apart by road, is at Waikawau beach. Access is via a narrow tunnel through the sandstone cliffs, which was made in 1911 by three men armed only with picks and shovels. It was constructed so cattle could be driven to and from Nukuhakare Station, on the hills above the tunnel. The farm is hilly and it was easier to drive the cattle along the beach than across the rough terrain. These days the tunnel is used by people rather than cows.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photographs by Jock Phillips (top); A. D. Wright (bottom)
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence