This is the post-armistice Korean headquarters of the 16th Field Regiment, Royal New Zealand Artillery, on what became known as 'kiwi hill' due to its large kiwi symbol. The chapel of St Barbara, on the summit of the hill, was built by the New Zealanders as an ecumenical chapel under the direction of Chaplain R. H. Rangiihu. The camp was set up in August 1953 after the July armistice which brought fighting to an end. At this time there was no certainty that war would not break out again. The last artillery units returned to New Zealand in November 1954. Transport and base sections of Kayforce remained in Korea until July 1957.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.