In 1841 the Supreme Court was established in New Zealand as the superior court. The Dunedin Supreme Court building, shown here in 1931, was an imposing structure befitting the status of the court. In 1908 the Supreme Court was designated the High Court, but it was not called that until 1980. That year, the name Supreme Court was reserved in anticipation of establishing a New Zealand court of final appeal, which occurred in 2003.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.