Tāreha Te Moananui was a prominent Ngāti Kahungunu chief from the Napier area. He became the first MP for Eastern Māori in 1868 after supporting the government's military actions against Hauhau (Pai Mārire) tribes and prophetic leader Te Kooti.
Te Moananui was one of the four Māori MPs who took their seats in 1868. The others were Mete Kīngi Te Rangi Paetahi of Whanganui tribe Te Āti Haunui-a-Pāpārangi (Western Māori), Frederick Nene Russell of Ngāpuhi (Northern Māori) and John Patterson, also known as Hōne Paratene Tamanui a Rangi (Southern Māori). Patterson entered Parliament some months after the other three original MPs. He was one of three candidates for the seat and a vote was held to choose the winner. Patterson retired from Parliament in 1870. There is no known photograph of him.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.