Story: Governors and governors-general

Government House, Wellington, 1880s (5th of 6)

Government House, Wellington, 1880s

In 1871, as part of the package for moving the capital to Wellington in 1865, the government completed a new Government House in that city. Built to a cheaper Italianate design after a Gothic building proved too costly, the house served New Zealand's governors until 1907, when it was needed by the government to house politicians and staff displaced by a fire in Parliament.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, E. R. Williams Collection
Reference: 1/1-025724-G
Photograph by William Williams

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Gavin McLean, 'Governors and governors-general - Vice-regal support', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/33664/government-house-wellington-1880s (accessed 15 November 2018)

Story by Gavin McLean, published 20 Jun 2012, reviewed & revised 28 Sep 2016