Story: East Coast places

Matawai Hotel

Matawai Hotel

The building that housed the Matawai Hotel in the 2000s was originally located at Motu, where it had been built on the site of an existing hotel in 1914, when a coach road to the Bay of Plenty opened. The hotel was shifted to Matawai in 1934, two years after a new road was opened through the Waioeka gorge to Ōpōtiki.

Using this item

Heritage New Zealand – Pouhere Taonga

Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Monty Soutar, 'East Coast places - Waikohu', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/33545/matawai-hotel (accessed 5 August 2020)

Story by Monty Soutar, updated 1 Mar 2015