A monument to explorer James Cook was unveiled on the foreshore below Kaiti Hill on 8 October 1906. The monument was immediately controversial because three sides of the base listed the names of all of Poverty Bay locals who had served in the South African War (1899–1902). A ‘rectification committee’ lobbied for the relocation of the names and this was accomplished at a later date.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.