Ruatōria, for a time known simply as the Cross Roads, became the principal township on the East Coast proper, as roads replaced the sea as the main means of transport. On this sunlit day around 1940, motor vehicles are prominent, but horses are still an important means of getting around. The two-storeyed Ruatoria Hotel at front right remained a local institution in 2019.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.