The huge glow-worm caves at Waitomo in the King Country have been a major tourist attraction since the late 19th century. Here guide Tane Tinorau (holding a hat) accompanies a party of visitors in about 1901. He was a traditional owner of the caves, which were acquired by the government in 1911. In 1990, following a claim to the Waitangi Tribunal, ownership of the caves was vested in a trust representing Tinorau's descendants and other tribal owners.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.