The Ngā Awa Pūrua geothermal power plant stands near Taupō on land owned by the Tauhara North No. 2 Trust, whose shareholders are members of Ngāti Tūwharetoa iwi. The plant has been developed in partnership with Mighty River Power and contributes towards the health, education and other social needs of Tauhara North shareholders and their families. Geothermally generated electricity is a resource not envisaged by those who wrote and signed the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. Its use is covered by the treaty principle of non-traditional resource development.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.