This impressive memorial in Invercargill, designed by Robert Newton Vanes, was unveiled in 1908. Southlanders had expressed little enthusiasm for the national veterans' home memorial in Auckland and were determined to express a sense of pride in their province's contribution to the war. So although the memorial was called the 'fallen troopers memorial' and the east face read 'In memory of Southland's Fallen Troopers', the north and south faces were dedicated to the Southland men who had served in the war. The trooper on the top was an expression of pride in their efforts. The monument also included a drinking fountain (seen as an alternative to the pub), while the clock was added later.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence