James Adam Capper and Hekeria Te Rangi, who had fought on opposite sides at the battle of Ōrākau in 1864, meet in peace on the 50th anniversary of the battle. A memorial to the event, visible behind the two men, was unveiled on the occasion. There had been very few monuments to the New Zealand wars during the 19th century, but 50th anniversaries were one of the reasons for a number of monuments erected to the wars in the years immediately before, and during, the First World War. Another reason was the desire to provide the younger generation with an example of service to the British Empire.
Using this item
Te Awamutu Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.