This monument to Tāwhiao, the second Māori king, was put up at Ngāruawāhia in 1895, a year after his death. It was paid for by the New Zealand government as a way of strengthening its reconciliation with the King movement. Earlier monuments to Māori leaders in the 1870s had also been paid for by the government, but in that case largely to recognise chiefs who fought for the Crown during the New Zealand wars. Māori also began to erect memorials to their leaders during these years.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence