In 1938 the Christchurch City Council was the first municipality (city council) to build purpose-built rental housing for pensioners. The first complex of 16 cottages was built in Barnett Avenue in suburban Sydenham and opened in August. In 2011 the dwellings were still being used to house elderly tenants.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.