Bhutanese refugees pose outside a building at the Māngere Refugee Resettlement Centre in South Auckland in 2008. The centre started life as a Second World War military camp before becoming an immigration hostel in 1953. It was refurbished as an immigration reception centre in 1979 to provide refugees with an orientation programme to help them adjust to New Zealand life. Since then over 500 refugee groups have passed through the centre.
Using this item
Department of Labour – Te Tari Mahi
Photograph by Ian Robertson
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.