The Women’s Health League was founded by district nurse Ruby Cameron with the support of Te Arawa elders in the Rotorua district in 1937. The league’s focus was the health of Māori women and children, and it worked through marae-based women’s committees. By the late 1940s it had spread beyond the central North Island, and its work on housing, marae support, ambulance staffing, alcohol use was having a positive effect on Māori health. This photograph, taken in 1937 at Tūnohopū marae in Ōhinemutu, shows the first conference of the league.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: The unfolding years, 1937–1987: Women’s Health League. Rotorua: Women's Health League, 1988.
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.