Story: Hauraki–Coromandel region

Coromandel School of Mines water wheel

Coromandel School of Mines water wheel

Stamper batteries crushed quartz as a means of extracting the gold held within. Some have been preserved as part of the region’s gold mining heritage. The Coromandel School of Mines battery opened in 1900 and was driven by a diesel oil motor. The water wheel was added in the 1970s and now drives part of the battery, which is open to the public.

Using this item

Flickr: Salt&Vinegar's photostream
Photograph by Franziska Krueger

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Monin, 'Hauraki–Coromandel region - Sport and culture', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 20 April 2024)

Story by Paul Monin, updated 1 Apr 2016