The School of Mines at Thames was established in 1886 and closed in 1954. The buildings were acquired by the Historic Places Trust in 1979 and have since been open to the public. This classroom is much as it was when the school was operational, with writing desks, benches, and shelves laden with bottles of the chemicals that were used in laboratory work.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Janine Faulknor
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence