In the major towns of the young colony businessmen and professionals – such as doctors, lawyers and accountants – banded together to form clubs of their own. These provided facilities for lunching, dining, talking (commonly over a drink), playing billiards or snooker and, especially in the early days, of entertaining the officers of a visiting warship or a newly arrived governor, who could be expected to provide news of the Old Country. The survivors of this array are the Wellington Club (founded 1841), and five reciprocal clubs: the Christchurch club (1856), the Dunedin or Fernhill Club (1858), the Hawke’s Bay Club (1863), the Northern Club in Auckland (1869) and the Canterbury Club (1872).
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.