C. G. Tripp (far left), owner of the Orari Gorge station, is shown here at work with his employees shifting ewes. His son John Tripp (fourth from left) and his nephew, A. Blackiston (fifth from left), are also working. Tripp was the son of an Anglican vicar and trained as a lawyer. He came out from England to Canterbury with J. B. Acland in 1855 and within a year the two had purchased land in the foothills west of Ashburton. Tripp was a gentleman, who like Acland married a daughter of Henry Chitty Harper, the bishop of Christchurch; yet, like some other high-country pastoralists he played an active part in the day-to-day management of his farm. He was a pioneer in the use of wire fencing and was quick to sow 'English grasses'. He was not a leisured aristocrat.
Using this item
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.