This is the funeral of Sir John Hall at Hororata, Canterbury, in June 1907. Hall was the dominant local landowner, with 12,045 hectares forming the Terrace station on the north bank of the Rakaia River. A leading provincial and national politician who eventually became premier, Sir John Hall was very much the local squire at Hororata. He had endowed this Anglican church, along with the village hall and domain. He had served as a lay reader, vestryman and Sunday school teacher at this church; and he was a strong supporter of the local school, which explains the children lined up along the path in his honour.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: Selwyn photograph 2261286
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.