The pupils of St Patrick's primary school in South Dunedin, founded in 1878, were originally taught by Dominican nuns and later by the Sisters of Mercy, such as the one in this 1959 photograph. At the time of its closure in 2011 St Patrick's, like most Catholic schools, was staffed entirely by lay (non-ordained) teachers and integrated into the state education system.
Using this item
Otago Daily Times
Reference: 2 April 1959
Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.