A crowd celebrates the opening of Mother Aubert's Home of Compassion in Wellington's Island Bay in 1907. The home cared for children with disabilities, and the chronically and terminally ill. Mother Aubert and her followers collecting food and clothes in large prams around city streets was a familiar sight in the early 20th century. The building was added on to at various times, but was demolished in 2002.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.