Story: Voluntary welfare organisations

Oddfellows' hall (2nd of 2)

Oddfellows' hall

Members of mutual aid societies such as the Oddfellows were usually working men, who built halls in which to hold their meetings. In Martinborough in 1905, the front of the Oddfellows' hall was occupied by a jeweller's shop.

Using this item

Wairarapa Archive
Reference: 02-205/21

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Margaret Tennant, 'Voluntary welfare organisations - 19th-century charity', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29042/oddfellows-hall (accessed 7 December 2021)

Story by Margaret Tennant, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 18 Sep 2018