Story: Nelson region

Tākaka marble on the Beehive

Tākaka marble on the Beehive

Tiles of grey-and-brown banded Tākaka marble were used as cladding on the Beehive, Parliament’s executive wing in Wellington. Large panels and smaller tiles of this distinctive marble from Kairuru quarry on top of Tākaka hill were used extensively in commercial buildings. Tākaka marble was also used in the Parliamentary buildings (completed in 1922) and other Wellington buildings.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Alastair McLean

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson region - Mining, quarrying and energy', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28955/takaka-marble-on-the-beehive (accessed 9 August 2020)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 1 Aug 2015