Story: Nelson region

Nelson lighthouse

Nelson lighthouse

A lighthouse was erected on the Boulder Bank – the natural breakwater that protects Nelson harbour – in 1861 by the Nelson Provincial Council. It was the second permanent lighthouse in New Zealand. The tower, 18.3 metres high, made of cast iron imported from Bath, England, was lit for the first time on 4 August 1862. It was decommissioned in 1982, but remains popular with tourists.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Frederick Nelson Jones Collection (PAColl-3051)
Reference: 1/1-009414-G
Photograph by Frederick Nelson Jones

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Carl Walrond, 'Nelson region - Sea and air transport and communications', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28828/nelson-lighthouse (accessed 19 June 2018)

Story by Carl Walrond, updated 3 Aug 2015