The retired Reverend Johann Heine sits reading in his rocking chair in the garden of the Lutheran parsonage at Upper Moutere in the 1880s. Heine had arrived in Nelson with the first German-speaking immigrants in March 1843. He moved to the Upper Moutere valley in the 1850s, and became the community pastor. The Heine family enlarged an existing house to 15 rooms, the largest of which served as a schoolroom and church until a small church was built in 1864. The German immigrants named the settlement Sarau after a beautiful village in northern Germany. Both names – Sarau and Upper Moutere – were used until the First World War, when German names were anglicised, and Sarau was dropped.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.