Otago Girls’ High School, New Zealand’s first girls’ secondary school, opened in 1871. It was housed at first in a wing of the Otago Boys’ High School building, with a high wall across the playground to prevent contact. The girls moved into a purpose-built school of their own in 1909. This 1905 photograph shows a gymnastics class.
Using this item
Hocken Library, University of Otago
Permission of the Hocken Library Uare Taoka o Hakena, University of Otago, must be obtained before any re-use of this image. Further information may be obtained from the Library through its website.