The Anglican Church attracted strong support among Māori, and when the Church Missionary Society withdrew from New Zealand, Māori were trained to continue ministry work among their own people. Archdeacon Leonard Williams began this work in his own home, Te Rau Kahikatea, in suburban Gisborne. In 1885 Te Rau College was built across the road, with funds originally given by the Church Missionary Society. These young Māori trainees are outside a college building in 1886.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Photograph by William Crawford
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.