By 1890 there were about 300 Chinese miners at the Round Hill goldfield near Riverton in Southland. The community built this Chinese public hall and temple, known to Europeans as a Joss house. The building followed the usual form of Chinese temples – front and rear halls, each with an incense pot, connected by an open court. The Chinese script on either side of the door reads, 'May the hall members always have great plenty; may hall compacts all bring peace and prosperity.' This photograph of the building, about 1903, shows a Presbyterian minister, probably the Reverend W. Mawson, on the verandah.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.