Story: Religion and society

Primitive Methodist church, Feilding

Primitive Methodist church, Feilding

The Manawatū was a significant place of settlement for Methodists in the 19th century, and Feilding had two Methodist churches – this Primitive Methodist church, built on Manchester Street in 1876, and a Wesleyan Methodist church, built on Grey Street in the same year. The Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodists were the two main forms of the Methodist Church in New Zealand. They maintained separate identities until 1913, when they united as the Methodist Church.

Using this item

Feilding Public Library

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

John Stenhouse, 'Religion and society - Church adherence and attendance, 1840–1920', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/28392/primitive-methodist-church-feilding (accessed 21 October 2021)

Story by John Stenhouse, published 5 May 2011, reviewed & revised 4 Apr 2018