The prophet Te Mahuki of Ngāti Kinohaku (centre) stands in his community Te Kumi, near Te Kūiti, in 1885. Te Mahuki had been driven out of Parihaka and formed his own community. He named himself and his followers Tekaumārua (the 12) after the 12 apostles and Tāwhiao's 12 evangelists. In 1883 Te Mahuki and his followers held surveyors captive to prevent them surveying land for a railway line.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.