These 'niu' (news) poles stand at Maraekōwhai reserve along the Whanganui River. Niu poles were raised by adherents of the Pai Mārire faith and were used in religious rituals. The pole called Rongo Niu (long pole, according to James Cowan) was erected in 1864 during the New Zealand wars. Hauhau warriors carried out final rituals at this niu pole before departing for the battle of Moutoa. The pole called Riri Kore (no war) was erected at the end of the war in recognition of peace.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence