The premises of the Tung Jung Association, a Chinese community organisation founded in 1926, still stand in Wellington’s Frederick Street. This area, particularly nearby Haining Street, was the city’s 'Chinatown' until the 1960s. The association's small building is one of the last remaining signs that the district was home to Chinese migrants.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Emily Tutaki
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence