This is the Māori Council for the Maahunui district, in Canterbury, in 1902. Back row: Pirini Ruru, Hone Pere, Teone Tini (Little River); second row: James Chas. Rickards (Timaru), H. Kahu and Tikao Wiri (Temuka), J. Horomona (Kaiapoi), Wepu Hopa (Taumutu), Teone Watene (Rapaki), T. E. Kirini (Kaiapoi); front row: Taituha Hape (chairman) and Āpirana Ngata (returning officer). Māori councils had an important role in Māori health at the start of the 20th century, promoting health in Māori settlements.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 3 IMG0065
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.