Te Whai-a-te-Motu (‘the pursuit through the island’) was opened on 11 April 1888 at Ruatāhuna to commemorate the pursuit of Te Kooti Arikirangi by government forces through the Urewera. It is the wharenui (meeting house) where the main tribal issues are discussed; indeed, one of the sittings of the Waitangi Tribunal hearing for the Urewera district was held there in June 2004.
Using this item
Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment