Historically, the state has played an important part in developing the New Zealand economy. For many years the Public Works Department (which became the Ministry of Works in 1948 and the Ministry of Works and Development in 1974) undertook most major construction work in New Zealand, including roads and power stations. After the reform of the state sector, beginning in 1984, the ministry disappeared and its remnants now have to compete for government work. This photograph shows members of the Ministry of Works and Development architecture division in Wellington participating in a ‘bad tie’ competition in 1984.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.