This Māori eeling camp is set up beside the creek leading into Washdyke Lagoon (Waitarakao) in South Canterbury around 1900. The men are holding matarau (eel spears). There are a number of hīnaki (eel pots), which would have been set in the creek and pulled out when a good catch had been made. Tuna (eel) was a vital food source in many areas.
Using this item
South Canterbury Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment