The New Zealand Parliament consists of only a single chamber – the House of Representatives. In 1897, when this photograph was taken, a second chamber, the Legislative Council, also existed. However, it had little independent influence, as its members were mostly appointees of the government of the day. It was abolished in 1951.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.