Dixon Brothers was a large butchery shop in Cashel St, Christchurch. This photograph from around 1900 shows 18 employees. Dixon Brothers was one of the city's best-known butchers. The floor was covered in sawdust, which was swept and renewed at the end of each day. Carcasses were hung from meat hooks on display. Curiously, pride of place in the shop went to a buffalo head.
Using this item
Canterbury Museum, Canterbury Historical Association Collection
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.