The Kerikeri stone store in the Bay of Islands is the oldest surviving stone building in New Zealand. It was built by stonemasons between 1832 and 1836, with walls made of basalt lava from the bed of the Kerikeri River. The arches, quoins and keystones were made of imported Sydney sandstone, which was much easier for masons to dress than Kerikeri basalt.
Using this item
Photograph by Simon Nathan
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.