Story: Economic history

Government department building, Stratford, 1913

Government department building, Stratford, 1913

The government building in the Taranaki town of Stratford advertises in its windows the range of government activities in that small community. The ground floor of the building was occupied by the Public Works Department, whose 15 employees pose outside. The PWD was responsible for building roads and bridges.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, James McAllister Collection (PAColl-3054)
Reference: 1/1-012636-G
Photograph by James McAllister

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Brian Easton, 'Economic history - Government and market liberalisation', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/24359/government-department-building-stratford-1913 (accessed 23 May 2019)

Story by Brian Easton, published 11 Mar 2010