In 1884 the Colonial Sugar Refining Company built a large refinery at Birkenhead, on the north side of Auckland harbour, to process its Fijian sugar cane. This is the building in 1890, with ships moored alongside. The refinery was still operating in the early 2000s, making Chelsea brand sugar, although the sugar cane came mainly from Australia.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.