A sanatorium for soldiers returning home from the First World War with respiratory illnesses was established at Pukeora, a hill above Waipukurau, in 1918. It later became a tuberculosis hospital and a home for the disabled. The complex was sold in 2000 and reopened as the Pukeora Estate vineyard and winery.
Using this item
Pukeora Estate (Sans Hills Wines)
Photograph by Max Annabell
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.