Story: Hawke’s Bay places

Waimārama station, 1890s (1st of 2)

Waimārama station, 1890s

Frederic Meinertzhagen and Walter Campbell first leased Māori land at Waimārama in 1866 and ran a sheep station there. Unlike most Māori land in Hawke’s Bay, Waimārama remained in Māori ownership until the early 20th century. These are the station houses and some livestock (foreground), with Bare Island (Motu-o-Kura) visible out to sea. The modern-day settlement of Waimārama is located at this spot.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: PAColl-6407-19

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Kerryn Pollock, 'Hawke’s Bay places - Southern coast', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/24216/waimarama-station-1890s (accessed 24 September 2020)

Story by Kerryn Pollock, updated 30 Nov 2015